Saturday, July 7, 2007

HARVEY

Entry for May 01, 2007
I'm going to try this one last time. I have already lost two of this blog but will have another go at it. It is one of the smaller triumphs of my childhood but I should take them when I can get them. It all took place in the corner lot that was euphemistically called a baseball field. Now mind you Little League had not yet appeared on the scene and we scrounged any field we could to play the game. Broken bottles, bricks, stones, rough ground was all a part of the hazardous conditions in which we played but play we did using pieces of cardboard, flat rocks, anything that simulated a base. The game was in progress when Harvey showed up. He was a big kid, similar in age as most of the rest of us but we were the Davids to his Goliath if it came to an arguement. And it did! Now I was the loudest of the kids in the game and it seemed only right that I should reply to the derisive shouts Harvey was making. I, having the biggest mouth around, finaly reached a point of exasperation and made a comment aimed at Harvey that he took violent exception to. He began to charge at me. I knew I was dead if he caught me so I took off running. Now you would think with fear permeating every muscle, I could stay ahead of him but my worst nightmare was about to come true. I had gone too far and Harvey was going catch me. Fortunately my mind took over and just as he was going to pounce on me I dropped to my knees and he tripped over the top of me and landed hard on his stomach. I quickly jumped up and landed with both knees on his back and in affect gave hime a blow to the solar plexus. The breath went out of him in a big whoosh and he collapsed. All the other kids had now gathered around shouting words of encouragement to me but it wasn't necessary. All the fight had left Harvey and he got up slowly and trudged toward his home in the middle of the block. I was accorded the team's adulation and instantly became the hero of Warwick Avenue. I often wondered whatever happened to Harvey for I don't ever remember seeing him again -- The bully had gotten his comeuppance and never bullied us again.

No comments: