Tuesday, July 31, 2007

DID I MENTION STUBBORN??

All the wonderful things my Dad did, albeit was mostly for his grandchildren, whom he really adored. Oh he didn't show it with love and kisses. My Dad was not that type. But he did show it by playing with them hours on end, and I mean playing, right down on the floor type of playing. He taught them to sew, color, create images and a plethora of kid stuff that in todays world, with all its technology, seems to be sometimes forgotten. My two daughters , Marcie and Linda, were the chief recipients of his attention. And then there was me. "Handy Andy". That's what he would occasionally call me because I wasn't--- handy that is. But we had purchased an "expandable home' and what that label inferred was it would expand if the owners put enough hard work into it. And I was trying!! I won't go into all the things I did to that house because it now is superfluous. However one thing I did was to purchase a storm door to be planed and cut and painted and hung on the side of our home. It was an all day deal and when Dad came over that evening I saw his eyes glance quickly at my handiwork and I was hoping for some sort of praise. But no, I could see he disapproved of a part of my work. The evening wore on and as they got up to leave I had to find out what was wrong with the door. And so I asked him. Dad, I saw you look at the door. I worked all day on it and apparently there is something you don't like. He looked at me and said, "You should have it open against the wind so that it won't be blown from its hinges". I excitedly said, "I did that Dad . Usually the wind comes from the west and that's the west". Oops, my mistake. He pointed in the opposite direction and said, "No Jim, that's the west". "But Dad, there's the sun and its setting". His reply was a shock to everything I have ever known about the setting sun. He stated, "I don't care what the sun is doing, that's the west"!! I just was numbed by his answer and then said to myself, "What a great story I will be able to tell my kids about the stubborn streak my lovable Dad had deep within his persona. And you know what? I miss him like crazy and I'll take a little stubbornness when its surrounded by love for my kids. But someday I am going to ask him if he remembers my storm door and his answer to my comments. I wonder if he will admit a mistake or somehow convince me I had the wrong direction. We'll see.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Your stories are entertaining slices of the past and very enjoyable reading. I wish more people were inclined to capture memories as you do! Thanks for sharing!

Yvonne said...

I enjoy reading your stories. I love it when my Dad tells me stories from his past. Hope you are feeling better.

Leigh said...

What a great story. Thank you for sharing with us.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Great post, Jim! My father in law was one stubborn individual, too; he would rather argue than eat. He's been gone four years now and I miss him terribly.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Love the photograph! Wonderful car. Do you know what year it is?