Thursday, March 13, 2008

Is This All There Is?

An unusual occurrance took place last week. I was seeing double and unable to hold a fork in my fingers and additionally couldn't focus on my conversation and therefore couldn't complete a sentence. What's happening I said to myself? Thanks to the bullying of a near by neighbor, he convinced me that I needed to get to a hospital. I prevailed on my daughter to drive there and I was taken into the Emergency immediately. It turned out my blood/sugar had plummeted to a reading of 31---unheard of!!After pumping some sweet stuff into an open IV I was placed in a square surrounded by curtains. In an adjacent cubicle such as mine, I could hear an elderly woman rambling on in an hallucinatory manner. A short time later as I was drowsily lying there wondering if they were going to move me to a room, I heard a slight rustling as if someone had entered the room. Not wanting to exert too much energy, I opened one eye to see if someone was there. There was!! I saw an elderly woman with a long face, a long droopy nose and yellowish hair hanging below her shoulders. My first thought was it must be the woman next door that had wandered into my room by mistake. An immediate next thought that flashed through my mind was the question"Is this all there is"?At my age I give some minor thought to my own mortality and this was a rather shocking revelation. No bands of Angels to carry me to an upper level? No crowds of friends and relatives welcoming me to the next phase? At this point I thought I had better open both eyes to see what was going on. My life may not have been one of perfection but didn't I deserve something more than an elderly woman who was just staring at me without a sound. Now that I was wide awake I looked again but the woman had disappeared and it was then I realized what I had seen was an impression created by the patterning and coloring of the drapes surrounding my area. There was no woman, just my sleepy impression of one. However, that fleeting impression has left me with a prevailing thought--- What, if indeed, this is all there is when I step into this next stage and all the mysteries that have been created by various philosophers, ministers and the like who don't have a clue as to what will take place. And so I leave you with the haunting possibility and a question"Is This All There Is"?

5 comments:

MARCIE said...

Well, that was sure inspiring. I hope you will be pleasantly surprised with bands of angels singing the halleulia chorus! But not quite yet!

QuiltingFitzy said...

Been missing your stories!

Glad to hear everything is ok.

Unknown said...

hi grandpa!
i was alerted to your blog, and wanted to say hello!
thank you for your sweet letter a few weeks ago, i loved it!
and don't let old age fool you into thinking that this is all there is! how could there NOT be a band of angels waiting for you? their just not ready to take you for good.
love becky

Unknown said...

and just so you know, we do have a family blog now!
froelichfamily.blogspot.com

Susan said...

I don't need to give it a second's thought, and neither do you. There will be family and friends and angels and Louise waiting for you. Couldn't be any other way. It's promised to us by The Man who doesn't break His promises.