Saturday, May 26, 2007

FISHING THE MISSOURI


I left Mesa on the 8th of May to go back home to begin a fishing trip. I carried two suit cases-one to hold my fishing clothes and one my church going stuff etc. Well, my fishing stuff got there and my other clothing didn't. Oh well, I wanted to go fishing anyway. We left for Bismarck N.D. on the 14th and spent 8 hours on the road with Bill Johnson doing most of the driving and all of the talking. Bob, his twin brother, was very quiet-----strange?? Usually both of them are talking in stereophonic sound. The weather was good and we hopefully wanted good weather on the Missouri River. Having come of age , monetarily that is, we had hired a guide who complained about the price of gas and thus his guiding costs--$150 a day per person. Damn Iraquis!! However, the next day dawned bright, reasonably warm, and we took off in a pick-up dragging the boat and headed down river-- but on an adjacent road. (In case anyone thought we were going down river in the pick-up) After getting the boat down a ramp and loading everyone aboard, we began dragging what they call crank bait in hope of catching the wiley walleye. Crank bait is another fishing term for a lure or a plug to we veteran fishermen. Walleye are a very good tasting fish and lo and behold we soon boated a nice one. ( thats fisherman talk for catching a fish). This continued for the rest of the day with the catching of 2 to 4 pound fish, the weather hovering around 60 degrees, which on the water still demanded some heavier clothing and the sky a deep blue. Finally about 3:00 we had caught our limit and headed back upstream where we disembarked (interesting word) and headed for a fish disemboweling shed -- thats a word seldom used in the fish cleaning lingo. We had our 15 walleye and they were soon cleaned, in bags and ready for freezing. I might add that we have been going to Bismarck for quite a few years because we almost always catch our limit--5 per day, 10 in posession. In Minnesota you are only allowed 5 walleye and thats all you get to keep and if you like to put meat on the table (more fishermen's talk) thats not very much. Thats pretty much the story of my fishing the Missouri. The next day, Wednesday, was nicer, weather wise,but we only boated 10 walleye and didn't quite make our limit. But we went home without an accident of any kind, had almost our limit and had a nice fish dinner at Rand's house Friday night. Any fishing trip is a good one when there are no accidents and you go home with fish. In truth, this may be our last fishing trip. My cousin Bob is not well and I am not getting any younger. Bob and I have fished to-gether for over 40 years and I guess all good things must come to an end. I wonder if I will be able to fish on the other side or whether I will be too busy watching over those I have left behind?? I'll see.

No comments: